Techcone - Your Daily Dose Of Technology


BitTorrent - Make Your Machine A Torrent Tracker

One of my friend referred me to an article where I was amazed to see the power of P2P model. The title of article revealed itself to me.

"Dropping 22TB of patches on 6,500 PCs in 4 hours: BitTorrent"

What they did was to use bittorrent to deploy the patches. By this, there was no need of buying more servers nor there was any need felt to increase the bandwidth.

Therefore this article is dedicated on how make your own machine a BitTorrent Tracker.

Server :

The server will consist of Ubuntu with all the typical applications of LAMP. We need to have Apache with MySql and PHP so that we can install a tracker such as phpMyBittorrent on it. Though the installtion can also be done on any Windows machine, still I would recemmond you to install Ubuntu.

In the tracker software, I would create several different categories based on the target systems that I would use. For example, there would be Windows XP, Windows Vista, Office 2007, etc. categories. Each category would have its own RSS feed.

Main Steps For Server :

1) Download phpMyBittorrent from here.
2) Extract the downloaded zip file to the www folder of Apache.
3) Open the URL "http://localhost/html/index.php"
4) Follow the instructions.

Client :

At the client side, you can use any torrent client like uTorrent, BitTorrent, or BitTornado. You can make the torrent from uTorrent which has an option to make torrents. Then upload that torrent to the server and start seeding it.

Conclusion :

I think that this type of a delivery system has great potential. You could even use it across slow bandwidth links or to deploy other software, not just patches.

This is a project that I am hoping to spend some time on over the next while but I am looking for your input/suggestions now so that I can hopefully avoid some pitfalls later. Any input would be greatly appreciated!




Everything I post will be in your Inbox, Subscribe via email below:


Related Entries